We probably don’t have to tell you that the world of deeper learning is messy and hectic, but it isn’t unplanned. Organizing your schedule shouldn’t be a burden. The Calendar page in Foundry allows you to not only keep events organized, but also see what students have done and what they’ve scheduled. The Calendar page functions much like google and apple calendars you may already be familiar with.
The calendar feature that is embedded into Foundry allows everyone to stay coordinated and on top of events.
Below an overview screenshot of the calendar in Foundry.
what can you see here?
Foundry calendar has the following components:
- View The large window displaying the entries in the calendar. The view can change based on which calendars have been selected for display. At minimum, the advisor's own calendar(s) will be shown.
- Navigation How to manage the use of the calendar. Changing between day, week and month views. Changing to same unit ahead or earlier in time and creating new calendar entries.
- New events Creating new events is done through clicking on the 'Add Calendar Event' button
- Students calendars Student calendars (created by the students) will be available in a list to be incorporated in the advisor's calendar
- My advisor calendars Advisors can have multiple calendar, which can be shown together or in a single fashion.
Adding a new event to the calendar
To add a new event in the Foundry calendar, follow the steps below.
Click on 'add calendar event' button on the right side above the calendar. A popup window will show that looks like the screen shot to the right. There are a few sections in this popup window that accept information about the event:
The event can theoretically be associated with more than 1 calendar. This is the screen to pick each/all relevant calendars.
If you have a large number of calendars, you can shorten the list by filtering on title of the calendar.
Check the box in from t of the calendar to select it
The time elements settings are edited here.
Events can have a start and stop time and date. Select the start date first, then the end date. Finally, do the same for the duration of the event.
Is there additional information about the event?
Link an announcement or description of the event or activity right inside the calendar for others to explore. Enter the URL of the information document or website in the box below 'Link'.
Is this a repeating event?
Select from one of the pre-set options to repeat the event.
Is this event related to an experience?
Clicking on 'Connect to an Experience' produces the list of experiences associated with the advisor. Select the desired experience to associate it to the event simply by clicking on it.
It's not possible to simply add an empty event to the calendar.
Mandatory fields are highlighted in yellow with a brief indication of what needs to be corrected.
At minimum, Foundry needs a name of the event, and a start and end date/time
And here is the result (notice that detail about the event is shown when moving the mouse over the specific event).
Adding or editing a calendar in your advisor account
To add a calendar in your advisor account you need only a few steps:
To add a new calendar: Click on the '+' sign in the header for the calendars
To edit an existing calendar: click on the pencil behind the name of calendar in the list.
To delete a calendar that is no longer needed: click on the 'x' behind the name of calendar in the list.
When adding or editing a calendar, a popup window will enable you to add or change details of the calendar.
Note: connecting and synchronizing with Google calendar requires a Google account to be registered with the student profile. (admin function)
Show student calendars in your calendar view
By default, the calendar will show only your calendars. If you have accessed the calendar before, Project Foundry will remember your latest settings and additions and start with that view the next time you access to application.
In order to show calendars from one or more of your students, Use the familiar mechanism for finding and selecting students that is located in the upper left hand corner of the screen.
- All my Students. Shows all active calendars from all students in your advisory group
- My Calendar. Shows only your active calendars
- [student name]. Shows the active calendars of the student selected.
- Clicking on a specific calendar in the colored list on the lower left hand side will show only that calendar in your calendar view.
Future "Calendar" page refinements are:
- Additional common calendaring functionality, such as sharing calendars, editing student calendars, and seeing additional details on the calendar event
- Enhanced synchronization with Google Calendar
- Stronger connection with Project proposals, so that tasks etc. will automatically be added to the calendar upon approval of the project proposal.
V 1.1 / Last Updated 09-21-2018